What you will need:
- 15 minutes
- Computer and smart phone/mobile device
- MFA Authenticator App
- Step 1: Go to cougarlock.apu.edu
- Step 2: Read the instructions and logout
- Step 3: Log in again
- Step 4: Stop and read this page carefully
- Step 5: Install an Authenticator App on your phone or mobile device
- Step 6: Input a Six Digit Auth Token from the Authenticator App
- Step 7: Wait for a new code and sign in again
- Step 8: Success!
Step 1: Go to cougarlock.apu.edu
- Click the Activate button to enroll.
Step 2: Read the instructions and logout
- Make sure you have all the materials listed in the instructions before you click the logout link.
Step 3: Log in again
- You should see this screen when you have successfully logged out. Click the "log in" link to log in again.
- Enter your APU NetID and password as normal and click "Sign In."
Step 4: Stop and read this page carefully
- Follow the instructions, as you cannot generate this page again, and you may need the information here to log in to your account in the future.
- DO NOT input these codes or click "Register" yet.
- DO NOT close this page. You will need it for Step 6.
- Note: If you do not see this page, please email email@example.com and let us know that you did not make it to the page with the QR code. This indicates an internal system error that we need to be made aware of and fix on our end.
Step 5: Install an Authenticator App on your phone or mobile device
- This should be a device that you have with you often, as you will need it to log in to new devices. Here are some popular Authenticator Apps:
Google Play Store Links for Android
Apple App Store for iPhone
Google Authenticator (if unsure, use this one)
|Google Authenticator (if unsure, use this one)|
|Symantec VIP||Symantec VIP|
- Open the authenticator app you just installed and follow the directions to add the QR Code in the app.
- If you already have one of these apps, press the + button to scan another code.
For Group Role Accounts:
- If you are using a group role account with multiple people, each person will need to add the same QR code to their own authenticator app.
- We recommend printing the QR code and placing in a safe, secure location accessible to those who use the group role account.
Step 6: Input a Six Digit Auth Token from the Authenticator App
- DO NOT use the temporary codes listed above
- After you've entered the code, click the "Register" button
Step 7: Wait for a new code and sign in again
- Be sure to wait for your Authenticator App to generate a new code. If you attempt to use the same code as in Step 6, the system will not accept it.
Step 8: Success!
- If you see the page below, it means you are successfully enrolled in CougarLock.
- If you are instead directed to a service page like home.apu.edu or your APU Gmail, this also means you were successful.
If you become stuck on this screen, open a new tab and go to home.apu.edu and Sign In
Congratulations! You're now using Cougar Lock and your account is more secure 🎉
- Your setup & registration process is complete! When signing into new devices, you will now be asked to provide your NetID and email as normal, as well as a Six Digit Auth Token as pictured in Step 7.
Please check out our Cougar Lock FAQ.