Canvas courses become accessible to students on the official first day of the term unless other wise opened early.
Note: Students will not receive notifications or messages from the course until the students have access to the course.
Manually opening a Canvas course early to your students can be done with the steps below.
- Log into Canvas
- Go to the course you wish to open early
- Publish your course
- Go to the "Settings" of the course
- Under the "Course details" tab scroll down to the "Starts" field.
- Change the start date to desired date and time.
- Check the option for "Students can only participate in the course between these dates"
- Leave the "Ends" date blank. The course will automatically close at the end of the term.
- Scroll down and "Update Course Details"
Your course will now be accessible to students before the official start date of the term.