What is Google Hangouts Chat?
Hangouts Chat is "an intelligent communication app for teams that takes direct messaging in Hangouts and evolves it to reflect the way modern teams talk business," according to Google. The idea behind it is that teams working on a project should be able to discuss tasks, share work, and more. So, Hangouts Chat offers virtual rooms with threaded conversations and integration with other Google products, like Drive.
How is it different from classic Hangouts?
- Rooms where users can join and leave, and can hold multiple threaded conversations
- Share documents and files from Drive or computer / mobile device
- Search for text, people, and rooms, with filtering
- Rich previews for web links
- Support for bots, including the ability for third parties to develop bots
- Improved accessibility and compliance
Why should I use it?
If you are looking to get more functionality and productivity out of APU's current chat offering (classic Hangouts) Or if you want a more team focused chat experience, then you should give Hangouts Chat a try: https://chat.google.com
Can I get training?
Here are some training resources we have for you
- APU single sign-on (CAS) does not work on Windows and Mac Team Chat applications. What this means is there is a bug with successfully signing into those apps. Google is aware of the problem and working on a fix. In the mean time we recommend using the web app: https://chat.google.com or downloading the Android or iOS apps.
- Messaging people outside of APU or people messaging you from outside of APU does not work this time.