APU is transitioning to Google’s newest enterprise-grade collaboration product, Google Chat (Chat). Chat has a modern user interface (UI), team rooms, that support enhanced collaboration, threaded conversations, emoji reactions to make work fun, bots to help you be more productive, and much more.
On Tuesday, August 4, Hangouts will be upgraded to the new Google Chat in Gmail for 1:1 direct messages (DMs), group messages, and team discussions.
See the Google Chat Transition presentation (created by Scott Nishizaki, Graduate and Professional Registrar)
Google Chat Features
Create Rooms to interact with students and collaborate with colleagues.
- Office hours
- Water cooler
Send direct messages and create group messages.
- Chat directly with anybody at APU
- Create group messages to chat with several people privately
- Chat on the go with the iOS and Android mobile apps
See all of your messages in one place.
- Access Google Chat right from Gmail
Make Chat smarter with Bots.
- Add Bots (Google and third-party integrations) to keep all of your notifications in one place
- Use Bots to automate simple tasks
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s happening with the old Hangouts?
- Hangouts will still be available but only for a very limited time. Please transition to the new Google Chat.
How do I start using Google Chat?
- Explore the new web experience now at chat.google.com
- Install the Google Chat mobile app for iOS or Android
- Refresh APU Gmail on August 4, 2020 to automatically get the new Chat experience inside of Gmail
Where do I go for help?