Google Hangouts On Air is a powerful, simple, and free tool for creating webcasts & live streams to an unlimited number of viewers.
Google has recently migrated Google Hangouts On Air to YouTube live. This is an exciting change, as high-level users will now have access to more tools.
For most users, you will still have access to all the features & simple interface of Google Hangouts. Follow these simple steps to set up a YouTube Live event:
If you haven’t done so already:
- Make sure your webcam is connected and the drivers are installed
- Verify your YouTube account. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP500y3nS2w
Setting up a Live event:
- Navigate to: https://www.youtube.com/
- In the top right corner of the page click on your account thumbnail
- Click on “Creator Studio”
- On the left side of the screen select “Live Streaming”
- Then select “Events”
- If necessary click “Enable Live Streaming” and accept the terms and conditions on the next page
- In the top right corner of the page select “New Live Event”
- On the next page fill in the title and description of the event
- Under Type make sure “Quick (usIng Google Hangouts on Air)” is selected
- Set the start time of the event
- Change the event to “Public”, “Unlisted” or “Private”
- Public - The live stream will be viewable by anyone, will be listed on search engines and appear on your channel page.
- Unlisted - The live stream will be viewable by anyone with a link, but won’t be listed in search engines or on your channel page.`
- Private will only be viewable by you and those you explicitly add to the stream
- Click “Create Event” to save your changes
- Confirm your event is created on the next page
How to start streaming:
- Navigate to your Live Streaming Events page
- Profile Image > Creator Studio > Live Streaming > Events
- See steps 1-5 from above
- Find your event you want to stream and click “Start Hangout On Air”
- A Google Hangouts window will open.
- Click on the settings gear at the top
- Select the proper video, microphone and speaker device.
- You can test the speaker by clicking on “Play Test Sound”
- Select “Save” when you are finished
- Make sure your microphone and camera are unmuted.
- Your camera will be viewable in the window.
- An audio meter at the bottom will confirm the microphone is working
- Once you are ready to begin, select “Start Broadcast”
- Be sure you are ready to begin, once you stop the broadcast there is no way you can start it again.
- When you are done broadcasting click “Stop Broadcast”
- Once it is done, you can safely close the window.
- Your video will be saved on the Video Manager and can be viewed later.