What is Ransomware?
Ransomware could prevent the user from using their computer or accessing data.
It holds the user’s computer and files for ransom. Ransomware or cryptolocker is a type of malware that can be covertly installed on a computer without knowledge or intention of the user. It can stay asleep or spread without user interaction until it receives a command from the hacker to encrypt files or completely lock the computer. The system is restored to normal (by the attacker) in lieu of financial benefit to the hackers.
What can I do to protect myself?
For APU users:
IMT has pushed an update to your APU computer. Please take moment reboot your computer to apply the latest patch, immediately.
- Backup your data regularly.
- Keep your computer operating system (Windows, MacOS) updated with the latest patches.
- Use Antivirus software and keep it updated with the latest updates (virus definitions).
- Do not follow unsolicited web links in emails.
- Avoid enabling macros from email attachments.